HC Deb 25 May 2000 vol 350 cc571-2W
Mr. Coaker

To ask the Secretary of State for Environment, Transport and the Regions what assessment he has made of the effectiveness of the mechanisms for ensuring the accountability of housing associations for their decisions; and if he will make a statement. [123771]

Mr. Mullin

Housing associations (now known as registered social landlords) are regulated by the Housing Corporation, an Executive NDPB of my Department, through published performance standards covering governance, finance, lettings, tenant involvement, development and management. Registered social landlords are expected to meet these standards. Where they do not, the Housing Corporation has regulatory powers to enforce compliance.

fire safety precautions for certain high risk houses in multiple occupation. The guidance will include advice on when residential sprinklers might be appropriate.