HC Deb 05 May 2000 vol 349 cc242-3W
Mr. Yeo

To ask the Minister of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food what estimate he has made of the cost to farmers of the decision that uninhabitable properties will be liable for council tax. [120576]

Mr. Nick Brown

My Department is not in a position to estimate the cost to farmers of the decision to place a 12 month limit on the exemption from council tax where unoccupied dwellings need major repair works to render them habitable or are undergoing structural alteration. Local authorities are responsible for administering the council tax and only they could identify the owners of such homes in their areas.