§ Mr. Gapes
To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs (1) if the work of the500W Anglo-French Joint Commission on Nuclear Policy and Doctrine has led to adoption of joint positions with France in international bodies or forums; 
(2) what activities have been undertaken in the Anglo-French Joint Commission on Nuclear Policy and Doctrine since January 1998; and if he will place in the Library the (a) reports and (b) other documents produced by the Joint Commission since that date; 
(3) on how many occasions since 1992 officials of the French Government have visited his Department to discuss nuclear co-operation; and if he will make a statement; 
(4) on how many occasions since 1992 officials from his Department have visited France to discuss nuclear co-operation; and if he will make a statement; 
(5) if he will list the official discussions and meetings between Ministers and officials in his Department and their French counterparts since November 1995 to pursue the implementation of the 1995 Anglo-French Joint Statement on Nuclear Co-operation; 
(6) what discussions involving Ministers and officials of his Department have recently taken place or are planned within the Anglo-French Joint Commission on Nuclear Policy and Doctrine concerning joint or co-ordinated nuclear missile submarine patrols with the French Navy. 
§ Mr. Vaz
British and French officials meet frequently to discuss nuclear issues of mutual interest. One powerful example of the co-operation which has resulted was the UK and France jointly depositing our instruments of ratification of the Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty in April 1998.
The UK/French Joint Nuclear Commission normally meets at official level every six months, alternately in London and paris. The Commission's discussions cover a wide range of issues, but they exclude, by joint agreement, the operational aspects of our respective deterrent forces. There are no plans for joint or co-ordinated submarine patrols.
I am withholding records of these meetings under Exemption 1 of the Code of Practice on Access to Government Information.