HC Deb 03 July 2000 vol 353 c3W
Dr. Stoate

To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs in what circumstances a licence is required to export strategic goods or technology to India or Pakistan; and what the Government's policy is regarding exports to nuclear or nuclear-related end-users in India and Pakistan. [129016]

Mr. Hain

A licence is required to export to India or Pakistan any goods or technology that are listed as subject to control in the legislation under which strategic export controls are implemented or any goods or technology subject to the Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD) end-use controls set out in Article 4 of Council Regulation (EC) 3381/94 and Regulations 4(1) and 4(2) (b) and (c) of the Dual-Use and Related Goods (Export Control) Regulations 1996.

Where a licence is required then, as my hon. Friend the Member for Manchester, Central (Mr. Lloyd), the then Minister of State, said in answer to my hon. Friend the Member for South Thanet (Dr. Ladyman) on 10 July 1998, Official Report, columns 687–88W, we will not allow the export of items listed in the Nuclear Suppliers Group Dual-Use List to nuclear or nuclear-related end-users in India or Pakistan, nor any other goods to these end-users which could contribute to the Indian and Pakistani nuclear programmes. The exception is equipment which would not normally require an export licence but is deemed licensable under the WMD end-use controls and where the initial concerns about WMD end-use are not subsequently substantiated.

Back to
Forward to