HC Deb 19 April 2000 vol 348 c491W
Mr. Gareth R. Thomas

To ask the Secretary of State for the Environment, Transport and the Regions what consents are necessary from his and other Government Departments and agencies for the construction and operation of an(a) onshore and (b) offshore wind farm; and if he will make a statement. [119924]

Ms Beverley Hughes

The position is:

(a) An onshore wind farm needs planning permission under the Town and Country Planning Act 1990.

(b) An offshore wind farm requires either an Order made by the relevant Secretary of State under the Transport and Works Act 1992, or navigation consent under Section 34 of the Coast Protection Act 1949 and a licence from the Ministry of Agriculture Fisheries and Food under the Food and Environmental Protection Act 1985 for the placing of materials in the sea or on the sea-bed. Wind farms within UK waters also require a licence from the Crown Estate Commissioners as owners of the sea-bed. Wind-energy developments with a capacity greater than 50MW also require consent under Section 36 of the Electricity Act 1989.