HC Deb 19 April 2000 vol 348 c554W
Mr. Hancock

To ask the Secretary of State for Social Security what assistance his Department can give to parents of children with communication difficulties for the provision of voice output communication aids; and if he will make a statement. [119230]

Angela Eagle

The Department's Social Fund provides for one-off payments by way of grants or interest-free loans to people who are receiving Income Support or income-based Jobseeker's Allowance. These payments are intended to cover a variety of essential household items. The Social Fund does not meet special educational needs because it does not duplicate provision made by other Government Departments.