HC Deb 26 October 1999 vol 336 c847W
Mrs. Curtis-Thomas

To ask the Secretary of State for Health if there is any Government funding for medical treatment overseas using advanced techniques currently not available in the United Kingdom. [94639]

Ms Stuart

National Health Service legislation contains no general power allowing purchase of treatment outside the United Kingdom for UK residents. European Community law does permit referral of individual patients elsewhere within the European Economic Area for treatment. Exceptionally, a health authority can seek approval from the Department of Health for ex-gratia funding of treatment outside the European Economic Area provided the costs are met from within the authority's existing resources.

Back to
Forward to