HC Deb 20 May 1999 vol 331 c427W
Mr. Chaytor

To ask the Secretary of State for Health what guidance he has issued to health authorities and local authorities on their responsibilities regarding incontinence aids and advice to residents in residential care and nursing homes. [84536]

Mr. Hutton

Guidance on the provision of incontinence aids is contained in Health Service Guidance (92)50: Local authority contracts for residential and nursing home care: NHS related aspects.

This circular sets out the continuing responsibility of the National Health Service in the provision of community health services to residents in local authority and independent residential care homes on the same basis as to people in their own homes. The circular also says that Local Authorities, since April 1993, are responsible for purchasing items as incontinence aids for residents they place in nursing homes. This guidance was reiterated in HSG(95)8, "NHS responsibilities for meeting continuing health care needs".