HC Deb 24 March 1999 vol 328 c298W
Mr. Laurence Robertson

To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs which European Union institution will be responsible for controlling the payments to the retiring commissioners when they leave office; what plans he has to meet those who are to make those payments; and if he will make a statement. [78202]

Ms Quin

Commissioners' terms and conditions are set down in the 1967 Council Regulation 422/67. This governs transitional and pension payments following their retirement or resignation from the Commission.

Payments following a Commissioner's departure are paid by the Commission.

We expect out-going Commissioners to be treated in accordance with this Statute. I have no plans to meet the Commission to discuss these arrangements.

Forward to