HC Deb 23 March 1999 vol 328 cc196-7W
Mr. Maclean

To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Employment if he will list for(a) small and medium-sized enterprises and (b) larger companies (i) all licences and permits issued by his Department and its agencies to companies permitting them to carry out their business, (ii) the cost of each such licence or permit in (A) 1997–98 and (B) 1999–2000 and (iii) the current number of companies which are in receipt of each such licence or permit. [76847]

Mr. Mudie

[holding answer 16 March 1999]: (i) The Department grants Training and Enterprise Councils (TECs) and Chambers of Commerce, Training and Enterprise (CCTEs) licences to operate as TEC/CCTEs in their agreed operational area. These organisations are small or medium sized enterprises.

(ii) The TECs/CCTE licence is free of charge.

(iii) There are 72 licensed TEC/CCTEs in England.