§ Mr. Maclean
To ask the Secretary of State for Trade and Industry what is the job description of the Special Representative on the Digital Economy. 
§ Mr. Wills
[holding answer 12 March 1999]: The Special Representative on the Digital Economy (the e-Envoy) will have two roles:
- 1. To spearhead the implementation of the strategy, set out in the Competitiveness White Paper, for:
- a) achieving the Government's goal of making the UK, by the end of this Parliament, the best environment in the world in which to trade electronically
- b) ensuring that UK businesses and consumers fully realise the potential this opens up
- 2. To advise the Secretary of State and Prime Minister on future development of the strategy. In particular:
- Monitoring progress on implementation of the strategy, and keeping the strategy under regular review in the light of international developments.
- Reviewing existing Government policies and activities relevant to the goals set out at No. 1, with a view to identifying gaps and areas for accelerated effort.
Executive responsibility for implementing the agreed strategy will principally lie with relevant departments, but the e-Envoy will also take on specific functions where agreed by the Secretary of State for Trade and Industry and the Prime Minister. In particular, the e-Envoy will act as public figurehead for the Government on e-commerce issues in international discussions; promote the UK as a centre for e-commerce business and investment; and publicly champion e-commerce in the UK, spreading awareness and promoting uptake by businesses and consumers.