§ Mr. McNulty
To ask the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland what key performance targets have been set for the Water Service in 1999–2000. 
§ Mr. Paul Murphy
For 1999–2000, the following key performance targets have been set for the Water Service:
- 1. To achieve 98.2 per cent. compliance with drinking water standards set in the Water Quality Regulations (Northern Ireland) 1994.
- 2. To achieve 75 per cent. compliance with the wastewater treatment works discharge standards set by the Environment and Heritage Service.
- 3. To ensure that fewer than 0.8 per cent. of properties experience unplanned interruptions to water supplies lasting greater than 12 hours.
- 4. To issue substantive replies to 90 per cent. of written complaints within 15 working days of receipt.
- 5. To deliver water at a unit cost of 67 pence per cubic metre.
- 6. To treat wastewater at a unit cost of 60 pence per cubic metre.
- 7. To maintain expenditure within cash limits and to approved budget plans.
- 8. To achieve efficiency gains of 3 per cent. on running costs expenditure.
The targets are included in the Water Service's 1999–2000 Business Plan, a copy of which will be placed in the Library.
These targets are subject to endorsement or amendment by local Ministers in the event of the Northern Ireland Assembly being established.