HC Deb 27 July 1999 vol 336 c309W
Mr. Berry

To ask the Secretary of State for Trade and Industry what discussions his Department has with UK arms companies prior to the establishment of licensed production agreements between UK companies and arms manufacturers overseas. [93521]

Dr. Howells

Production equipment and technology, components and sub-assemblies whose export from the UK is subject to control are set out under a range of headings in the Export of Goods (Control) Order 1994, as amended, and the Dual-Use and Related Goods (Export Control) Regulations 1996, as amended, and Council Decision 94/942/CFSP, as amended (which has effect through Council Regulation (EC) 3381/94). While a valid export licence is needed for the export of controlled goods or technology, exporters are not required to obtain one before they conclude an agreement for production overseas.

I also refer my hon. Friend to the answer given to my hon. Friend the Member for Cynon Valley (Ann Clwyd) by the Minister for Small Firms, Trade and Industry on 12 January 1999, Official Report, column 150.