HC Deb 23 July 1999 vol 335 c697W
Mr. Key

To ask the Secretary of State for Defence if he will set out the regulations for payment of council tax by service personnel; and if he will make a statement. [91569]

Mr. Doug Henderson

Service personnel living in private accommodation pay council tax under the same arrangements as civilians.

When occupying service accommodation service personnel pay my Department a Contribution in Lieu of Council Tax (CILOCT) as part of their accommodation charge. My Department then pays the relevant local authority an annual sum equivalent to the council tax for properties of the type occupied.

These arrangements have been put in place to minimise administration for local authorities and individuals, that would otherwise be necessary in view of the fact that service personnel and their families are often necessarily obliged to move house to meet service obligations.