HC Deb 28 January 1999 vol 324 c398W
Mr. Wigley

To ask the Secretary of State for Wales if he will list those local authorities in Wales which have a designated mobility officer to assist blind and visually handicapped people. [67447]

Mr. Jon Owen Jones

The provision of assistance to blind and visually handicapped people is now through Rehabilitation Workers.

I understand that the following local authorities directly employ Rehabilitation Workers:

  • Blaenau Gwent
  • Bridgend
  • Cardiff
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Ceredigion
  • Merthyr Tydfil
  • Monmouthshire
  • Pembrokeshire
  • Powys
  • Rhondda Cynon Taff
  • Swansea
  • Value of Glamorgan.

In addition, some local authorities have contracts with other organisations such as the North Wales Society for the Blind; the Gwent Association for the Blind; the Guide Dogs for the Blind or Vision Enhancement Services, to provide services similar to those of Rehabilitation Workers. These local authorities are:

  • Anglesey
  • Caerphilly
  • Cardiff
  • Conway
  • Denbighshire
  • Flintshire
  • Gwynedd
  • Newport
  • Torfaen
  • Wrexham.

In future this will become the responsibility of the National Assembly.