HC Deb 21 December 1999 vol 341 c534W
Mrs. Lait

To ask the Secretary of State for the Environment, Transport and the Regions what his policy is towards indemnities underwriting unforeseen major works on the sale or transfer of local authority housing stock. [103583]

Mr. Mullin

The local authority and acquiring landlord are required to carry out a comprehensive stock condition survey before a housing transfer takes place. The Department would not therefore expect a local authority to underwrite unforeseen major works to the housing stock post-transfer.