HC Deb 13 December 1999 vol 341 cc41-2W
Mr. Sanders

To ask the Secretary of State for Social Security what benefits are available to support 19-year-old students who wish to remain in full-time secondary education at(a) maintained schools and (b) further education colleges. [101665]

Angela Eagle

Most students who are undertaking a full-time course of study, whether in a maintained school, college of further education or elsewhere, are not entitled to benefits as a means of supporting themselves while studying. Primary financial support for students comes from the education student support systems. However, certain students in vulnerable groups, including disabled students and students who are responsible for a child are eligible to claim Income Support, income-based Jobseeker's Allowance, Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit. In addition, partners of students, who are not full-time students themselves, may claim benefits on behalf of the couple, providing they satisfy the relevant criteria.