HC Deb 06 December 1999 vol 340 cc341-2W
Mr. Trend

To ask the Secretary of State for Defence under what circumstances service men in HM forces may receive Income Support. [100336]

Mr. Spellar

Service personnel are eligible to receive social security benefits paid by the DSS on the same basis as civilians. It is, however, unlikely that any service personnel would be eligible for Income Support, given the qualifying criterion requiring a claimant to be working for less than 16 hours per week.