§ Mr. Burgon
To ask the Secretary of State for Trade and Industry what targets he has set the Employment Tribunal Service for 1999–2000. 
§ Mr. Byers
I have set the following targets for the ETS for 1999–2000.
- To bring to a first hearing at least 85 per cent. of single employment tribunal cases within 26 weeks of receipt;
- In relation to the above target, all employment tribunal offices to achieve at least 75 per cent.;
- To issue at least 85 per cent. of decisions within 4 weeks of the final hearing;
- To reduce administrative unit costs in the employment tribunals by 5 per cent. in real terms;
- At least 80 per cent. of employment tribunal users to express satisfaction, in surveys, with the service offered by the ETS;
- At least 90 per cent. of appeals registered by the Employment Appeal Tribunal for preliminary hearing to be ready for listing within 6 weeks.