HC Deb 19 October 1998 vol 317 cc906-7W
Dr. Vis

To ask the Secretary of State for the Environment, Transport and the Regions if he will make a statement on his policy regarding the granting by highways authorities of licences under section 50 of the New Roads and Street Works Act 1991 for commercial advertising structures and private street signs, or other structures promoting a commercial or sectional interest, upon land having public highway or trunk road status. [55480]

Ms Glenda Jackson

A structure bearing an advertisement may sometimes constitute apparatus for the purposes of the New Roads and Street Works Act 1991. Any decision about whether it is appropriate to grant a street works licence under section 50 of that Act in any particular case is entirely for the street authority (normally the highway authority) concerned.

In the case of trunk roads in England, the Highways Agency, acting for the Secretary of State as the highway authority, does not permit advertisements on land having trunk road status, with the sole exception of small signs identifying the sponsors of environmental improvements, usually at roundabouts, for which section 50 licences are not used. Erection of these signs is granted under individual agreements between Highway Agency and the sponsor, and the design and content are subject to Highway Agency approval.