§ Angela Eagle
The information is not available in the format requested. Such information as is available is set out in the table. There is an overlap in the figures provided as most claimants receive both Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit.
Numbers and average monthly amounts of benefit paid to an asylum seeker in May 1997 Benefit Number of recipients Average monthly amount of benefit(£) Income Support 45,000 255.90 Housing Benefit 36,000 356.90 Council Tax Benefit 21,000 42.00
1. The number of recipients are rounded to the nearest thousand; average amounts to the nearest 10 pence.
2. The average monthly amount of benefit is calculated by multiplying the average weekly amount by 52 and dividing by 12.
3. Asylum seekers cannot be distinguished from other urgent case payments.
4. Information refers to benefit units, which may be a single person or a couple.
5. Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit figures relate only to those claimants also in receipt of Income Support.
6. A later approximate figure of 42,000 asylum seekers claiming Income Support is available, from the February 1998 QSE. However, the May 1997 figure has been used in table to ensure the data are comparable with the Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit data.
1. Income Support Quarterly Statistical Enquiry, 5 per cent. sample, May 1997.
2. Housing Benefit Management Information System, annual 1 per cent. sample of claimants also in receipt of Income Support, May 1997.
A breakdown of asylum seekers currently claiming benefit by country of origin is not available. However,
Appeals heard and decided in 1995 (last six months only) All appeals Decided in appellants' favour Total Oral Proportion without oral Total Oral Paper Incapacity Benefit(IB)(All Work Test (AWT)) 3,038 n/a n/a 1,471 n/a n/a IB AWT proportion of All IB 89.5% — — — — — AWT (not IB)1 578 n/a n/a 219 n/a n/a AWT (not IB)1 proportion of All Income Support/Severe Disablement Allowance 1.3% — — — — —
Appeals heard and decided in1996 All appeals Decided in appellants' favour Total Oral Proportion without oral Total Oral Paper Incapacity Benefit (IB) (All Work Test (AWT)) 38,473 n/a n/a 18,026 n/a n/a IB AWT proportion of All IB 92.5% — — — — — AWT (not IB)1 9,574 n/a n/a 3,509 n/a n/a AWT (not IB)1 proportion of All Income Support/Severe Disablement Allowance 20.6% — — — — —
copies of the Home Office monthly asylum statistics and Home Office Statistical Bulletins, which show the rate of asylum applications by country, are placed in the Library.