HC Deb 20 May 1998 vol 312 c430W
Mr. Hunter

To ask the Secretary of State for Health, pursuant to his answer of 13 February 1998,Official Report, column 432, if he will introduce measures to require social services to backdate financial assistance for elderly people living in residential or nursing homes who did not claim assistance immediately their savings fell below £16,000 because they were unaware that assistance was available. [31873]

Mr. Boateng

We have no plans to introduce backdating provisions for financial assistance for elderly people in residential care or nursing homes to cover a period before they were assessed by the social services department as requiring such care.