HC Deb 31 March 1998 vol 309 cc452-3W
Helen Jones

To ask the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport if he will review the appropriateness of Government support for the British Amateur Rugby League Association, with particular reference to the association's rules on out of district transfers. [36609]

Mr. Banks

[holding answer 30 March 1998]: Central Government support for sport is channelled through the UK and English Sports Councils. As independent bodies established by Royal Charter, it is for the sports councils to determine what funding they make available to sports governing bodies.

I have no power to intervene in the day-to-day affairs of properly constituted governing bodies of sport. I recognise that regional boundary areas can cause some problems, but it is for British Amateur Rugby League Association (BARLA) to establish and implement rules and regulations which they consider to be in the best interests, both for individual players and for the game as a whole.