§ Mr. Burns
To ask the Secretary of State for Defence if he will publish(a) the number of places on each of his Department's non-departmental public bodies, (b) the number of places that are currently unfilled on each non-departmental public body, (c) the total number of members that have resigned since 1 May 1997, (d) the total number that have retired since 1 May 1997, (e) the total number that have not had their contracts renewed since 226W 1 May 1997, (f) the total number that have remained in place since 1 May 1997 and (g) the total number that have been appointed since 1 May 1997. 
§ Mr. Spellar
[holding answer 19 March 1998]MOD has 17 Non-Departmental Public Bodies; the answers to questions(a) and (b) are as follows:
Number of places on each NDPB (a) Places currently unfilled (b) Executive NDPBs Fleet Air Arm Museum 8 1 Royal Naval Museum 11 2 Royal Marines Museum 8 0 Royal Naval Submarine Museum 12 3 National Army Museum 12 1 RAF Museum 111 (plus 2 ex officio) — Oil and Pipelines Agency 2 0 Advisory NDPBs Advisory Committee on Conscientious Objectors 51 — Dartmoor Steering Group and Working Party 1 (plus 13 ex officio) 0 Defence Scientific Advisory Council 1901 — Independent Board of Visitors for the Military Corrective Training Centre 10 5 Royal Military College of Science Advisory Council 21 0 National Employer Liaison Committee 14 0 Nuclear Powered Warships Safety Committee 12 0 Nuclear Weapons Safety Committee 12 0 Review Board for Government Contracts 5 0 Royal College of Defence Studies Advisory Board 10 0 1 There is no fixed number for appointments
Regarding questions (c) to (g)
- (c)Since 1 May 1997, six members of MOD NDPBs have resigned (this figure excludes the Defence Scientific Advisory Council where details are not held).
- (d)Since 1 May 1997 five members have retired.
- (e)Since 1 May 1997 there have been no instances of members not having their contracts renewed.
- (f)Since 1 May 1997 308 members have remained in place (this figure includes two nominated ex officio Trustees).
- (g)Since 1 May 1997 96 members have been appointed (this figure includes some reappointments, two ex officio appointments and one instance of a committee member being promoted to the position of Chairman).