HC Deb 26 March 1998 vol 309 cc229-30W
Mr. Bill Michie

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department what external independent body can be approached by a member of the public when a complaint against a probation officer has been investigated at the various levels of the Probation Service, including the area Probation Committee, and the complainant is still not satisfied with the outcome. [34754]

Ms Quin

If a member of the public is not satisfied with the way in which the chief probation officer concerned has dealt with a complaint against a member of the service he may ask the responsible probation committee to look into it. The committee comprises magistrates and other local members who provide, under the present statutory framework, local accountability for the work of the probation service. It is also open to the Home Secretary to ask Her Majesty's Chief Inspector of Probation to inquire into and report on any matter concerning that work; and this power could be used if there were evidence that a probation committee had not dealt with a complaint properly.