§ Lord Acton
asked Her Majesty's Government:
What is the planned expenditure in real terms per woman prisoner for 1998–99, compared with that in 1995–96. [HL2318]
§ Lord Williams of Mostyn
Information is not available in the form requested, as expenditure is not planned separately for male and female prisoners. The available information relates to budgets for prison establishments holding female prisoners only, and is as follows:
Some prisons hold both male and female prisoners. It is not possible to identify separate costs for female prison places in those circumstances.
- Present operating cost budgets for 1998–99 for prisons holding only female prisoners: £59.8 million.
- Average number of places (certified normal accommodation (CNA)) at end May 1998: 2,471 Present average cost per place 1998–99: £24,200.
- Net operating costs for 1995–96 for prisons holding only female prisoners: £45.2 million (£49.2 million at 1998–99 prices).
- Average number of places (CNA) in 1995–96: 1,906.
- Average cost per place in 1995–96: £23,700 (£25,800 at 1998–99 prices).