HC Deb 10 June 1998 vol 313 c628W
Mr. Prior

To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Employment if he will make a statement on arrangements for the transfer of children on the assisted places scheme to another school(a) on compassionate grounds, (b) where there is a financial saving and (c) where there is an educational need. [44491]

Mr. Byers

The Education (Schools) Act 1997 allows the transfer of an assisted place between schools only where a school closes, merges with another school, or notifies the Secretary of State that it no longer wishes to participate in the scheme. Transfer is not legally permitted in any other circumstances.