HC Deb 08 June 1998 vol 313 cc428-9W
Mr. David Marshall

To ask the Secretary of State for Scotland if he will make it his policy to collect statistics on the acreage of(a) derelict and (b) contaminated land in each constituency in Scotland; and if he will make a statement. [43332]

Mr. Macdonald

[holding answer 1 June 1998]: Information on derelict and contaminated land is collected for the Scottish Vacant and Derelict Land Survey by local authorities and is supplied to the Scottish Office who publish this in aggregated form. Further development of the survey would be required in consultation with the data providers before analyses could be provided at Parliamentary Constituency level. While the information supplied to the Scottish Office provides a grid reference for each affected site, assembling and publication of the information by Parliamentary Constituency would require geographic coding of sites and additional preparatory work by local authorities. As with all official statistics, the Survey is kept under review.