HC Deb 29 July 1998 vol 317 c324W
Mr. David Atkinson

To ask the Secretary of State for Social Security what financial help towards housing costs is available to those claiming jobseeker's allowance who(a) are tenants and (b) have a mortgage. [52372]

Mr. Denham

For those Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA) claimants who are tenants, help with housing costs is mostly provided through the Housing Benefit scheme. For those with a mortgage, help for those who are eligible is included in their JSA payment.

Where tenants are receiving income-based JSA they are "passported" to maximum Housing Benefit. Deductions may be made from the maximum Housing Benefit where non-dependents are involved. Tenants who are receiving contribution-based JSA have to make a claim for Housing Benefit on low-income grounds from their local authority.

Those receiving income-based JSA receive a contribution towards the interest payable on loans to purchase the home and certain home improvements and some other housing costs which are not met by Housing Benefit. It does not cover all mortgage liabilities, for example capital repayments, endowment premiums, insurance or help with arrears. There is no help with mortgage payments for those who are only entitled to contribution-based JSA.

Forward to