HC Deb 29 July 1998 vol 317 c360W
Sir Robert Smith

To ask the President of the Board of Trade how much spent fuel, in tonnes, is currently in storage in the Dounreay nuclear establishment; and of this total how much is(a) fast reactor spent fuel, (b) UK research reactor spent fuel and (c) foreign research reactor spent fuel. [48029]

Mr. Battle

There are 58 tonnes of spent fuel in storage at Dounreay. Of this, fast reactor fuel, including breeder material, accounts for 99 per cent. This includes a small amount (less than half a per cent.) from foreign fast reactors. The remaining 1 per cent. comes from foreign power reactors. There is no spent fuel from other UK research reactors, and the only spent fuel from other foreign research reactors is the 4.364 kilogrammes from Georgia.