HC Deb 28 July 1998 vol 317 c184W
Yvette Cooper

To ask the Secretary of State for Social Security if she will list the grants and awards that require bids from applicants which her Department is responsible for administering and awarding(a) nationally and (b) that people and groups within Wakefield Metropolitan District are eligible to bid for; if she will publish the deadlines for these applications; and if she will produce this list on a regular basis. [51268]

Mr. Denham

The Department is responsible for administering and awarding people's entitlement to a range of Social Security benefits and to child support maintenance. It also makes grants, in the form of subsidies, to local authorities to cover most of the costs of paying and administering the Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit schemes.

The Department is also responsible for making grants to charitable organisations (Motability and the British Limbless Ex-Servicemen's Association) who offer support in terms of adaptations to motor vehicles for disabled persons who are in receipt of qualifying benefits. Grants are also provided to the Independent Living Fund who offer financial assistance to disabled people who wish to live independently in the community.