§ Mr. Lepper
To ask the Minister of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food if he will make a statement on the number and location of Countryside Stewardship Scheme 673W public access sites in (a) the Brighton, Pavilion constituency and (b) East and West Sussex; what steps have been taken to inform the public of access to Countryside Stewardship Scheme access sites; and what sums his Department has (i) spent to date and (ii) contracted to spend in respect of payments for public access to these sites. 
§ Mr. Morley
There are no Countryside Stewardship Scheme public access sites in the Brighton, Pavilion constituency.
There are 25 public access sites in East Sussex and 16 in West Sussex. Their locations are as follows:
- 1. Hole Farm, nr Herstmonceux
- 2. Forge Farms, nr Burwash Weald
- 3. Rocks Farm, nr Brede
- 4. Hempstead Farm, nr Hailsham
- 5. France Bottom, nr Alfriston, Willingdon levels, Folkington Hill
- 6. Hewenstreet Circuit, nr South Chailey
- 7. Wagmary Wood, nr Brede Broad Oak
- 8. Great Danegate Farm, nr Rotherfield
- 9. Pebsham Farm, nr Bexhill
- 10. Court Lodge Farm, nr Wartling
- 11. Lewes Brooks, nr Lewes
- 12. Highfields Circuit, nr Mayfield
- 13 Barelands, nr Wadhurst
- 14. Brightling Park, nr Brightling
- 15. Chilly Brooks, nr Lewes
- 16. Scrag Oak Farm, Nr Icklesham
- 17. Eridge Old Park, nr Frant
- 18. Foxhunt Park Farm, nr East Hoathly
- 19. Sunninglye Farm, nr Bells Yew Green
- 20. Ouse Banks, nr Uckfield
- 21. Pippins Farm, Pembury
- 22. Little Buds, Hastings
- 23. Lunsfold Farm, Hastings
- 24. Northease Farm, nr Lewes
- 25. Hale Court, Hartfield.
- 1. Wiggonholt Common, nr Wiggonholt
- 2. Kings. Barn Farm/Foxhall Farm, nr Steyning
- 3. Daylands Farm, nr Ashington
- 4. Pulborough Brooks, nr Pulborough
- 5. Quell Farm, nr Coldwaltham
- 6. Glebe Farm, nr Coldwaltham
- 7. Stonehill, nr East Grinstead
- 8. Church Farm South, nr Shipley Meadows
- 9. Chanctonbury Ring, Findon Park Farm, nr Washington
- 10. Sutton Common Lords Piece, nr Petworth
- 11. West Grinstead Downs Link, nr Cowfold
- 12. Frylands Farm, nr Wineham
- 13. Lower Fittleworth Meadows, nr Fittleworth
- 14. Apuldram Manor Farm, nr Chichester
- 15. Imberhorne Farm, nr East Grinstead.
The list includes sites on which grant is already being paid and new sites entered into the scheme in 1997 on which grant has yet to be paid.674W
The sums spent on these sites to date is:
- East Sussex: £76,827
- West Sussex: £82,163.
The sums contracted to be spent are:
- East Sussex: £217,840
- West Sussex: £198,687.
The figures for contracted expenditure include the total ten-year cost for each access agreement, i.e. the sums spent to date plus the value of payments scheduled for payment during the remaining years of the agreements.
The Department informs the public of access to Countryside Stewardship scheme access sites by actively promoting the location of the site, how to find it and features of interest. The details, which include a map of the site, are published annually in the Department's Conservation Walks register. This is sent to all interested national organisations such as the Rambler's Association and local Tourist Information offices, Councils and Libraries. It is also available on the Internet. Registers, which are available on a county basis, are regularly updated and copies can be requested from the Department's offices. Details of sites have also been included in several local authority and other publications and the register has been publicised through the "Country Walking" magazine.