§ Mr. McWalter
To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs if he will list the forthcoming business in the Council of the European European Union for January; and if he will list the major European Union events for the next six months. 
§ Mr. Doug Henderson
The following Councils are scheduled:
Monthly forecast of business for January 1998 Venue Event 19 January Brussels Ecofin Council 19–20 January Brussels Agriculture Council 26–27 January Brussels General Affairs Council 29–30 January Birmingham Justice and Home Affairs Council (Informal)
The following subjects are likely to be discussed:
19 January: ECOFIN Council
- Presidency work programme—Commission work programme: Presentation and debate.
- Preparation of Stages III of EMU.
- Reduced VAT on labour-intensive services.
- Council Regulation on allocation of Financial Intermediation Services indirectly measured.
19–20 January: Agriculture Council
- Statement of Presidency aims.
- Agri-environment Regulation (2078/92) and Forestry Regulation (2080/92): Commission reports.
- Amendments to Regulation 404/93 (possible item).
- Reform of tobacco regime (possible item).
- Promotion of quality beef and veal.
- Potato starch quotas.
- World Trade Organisation dispute on hormones.
- Veterinary equivalence agreements.
- Vehicle standards for carriage of livestock.
- Transmissible Spongiform Encephalopathies (possible item).
26–27 January: General Affairs Council
- Presidency Programme: Public debate.
- Enlargement: EU negotiating position for the Central and Eastern European Countries and Cyprus: Outline of European Conference: Pre-Accession Strategy—Presidency Progress report.
- Transatlantic Relations: Report in EU-US Ministerial.
- EU-Japan Summit: Presidency Report.
- Trade issues: China—Silk Agreement: Mongolia—Textile Agreement (possible A point): Russia—Textiles: Vietnam—Textiles Agreement (possible A point): Financial Services.
- CFSP: Former Yugoslavia—Albania—Great Lakes—TurkeyCyprus (developments post-Luxembourg)—Middle East Peace Process—Overseas Countries and Territories.
- Third Country meetings in margins: Albania: Russia Co-operation Council.
29–30 January: Justice and Home Affairs Council (Informal)
- No formal Agenda.
This calendar is primarily concerned with European Union matters, but certain other relevant events are also included. Events and dates quoted are based on the information available on the date of issue.
European Calender: January—June 1998 Venue Event January 1998 1 — UK Presidency commences 8 London Visit of College of Commissioners 12–16 Strasbourg European Parliament Plenary 15 Brussels Political Committee 19 Brussels Ecofin Council 19–20 Brussels Agriculture Council 26–27 Brussels General Affairs Council 28–29 Brussels European Parliament Plenary 29–30 Birmingham Justice and Home Affairs Council (Informal) February 1998 3 Brussels Political Committee 9–11 Costa Rica EU/San José Group 11–12 Brussels Select Committee on Trade and Industry Visit 12 Brussels Research Council 12–13 Panama EU/Rio Group 12–13 London Political Committee 13–15 Cambridge Internal market (Informal) 16 Brussels Ecofin Council 16–17 Brussels Agriculture Council 16–20 Strasbourg European Parliament Plenary 23–24 Brussels General Affairs Council 26 Brussels Telecom Council
European Calender: January—June 1998 Venue Event March 1998 3 Brussels Political Committee 9 Brussels ECOFIN Council (t.b.c.) 9–10 Manchester UK Presidency Conference 9–13 Strasbourg European Parliamentary Plenary 12–13 London Joint Social and Education (Informal) 14–15 Edinburgh Foreign Ministers' Informal 15–17 Manchester Seminar for Cultural Ministers 16–17 Brussels Agriculture Council 17 Brussels Transport Council 19 Brussels Political Committee 19 Brussels Justice and Home Affairs Council 20–22 York ECOFIN Informal 23 Brussels Environment Council 24 Brussels Fisheries Council 30 Brussels Internal Market Council 30–31 Brussels General Affairs Council 30–31 Strasbourg European Parliament Plenary 31–1 April Moscow G8 Energy Ministerial April 1998 1–3 Strasbourg European Parliament Plenary 2–4 London ASEM II 6 Luxembourg Social Affairs Council 7 Brussels Political Committee 16 Brussels Political Committee 20–21 Luxembourg Agriculture Council 21 Luxembourg ECOFIN Council 23 Luxembourg Consumer Affairs Council 24–26 Chester Environment and Transport (Informal) 27–28 Luxembourg General Affairs Council 29–30 Brussels European Parliament 30 Luxembourg Health Council May 1998 1–3 Brussels Ecofin and Special EMU Council 5 Brussels Political Committee (t.b.c.) 7 Brussels Industry Council 10–12 Newcastle Agriculture (Informal) 11 Brussels Energy Council 11 Brussels Euro-Med Energy Ministerial 12 Brussels Political Committee 11–15 Strasbourg European Parliament Plenary 18 Brussels Development Council 18 Brussels Internal Market 19 Brussels Telecommunications Council 25–26 Brussels General Affairs Council 25–26 Brussels Agriculture Council 27–28 Brussels European Parliament Plenary 28–29 Brussels Justice and Home Affairs Council June 1998 2 Luxembourg Political Committee 4 Luxembourg Education and Social Affairs Council 8 Luxembourg Fisheries Council 8–9 Luxembourg General Affairs Council (t.b.c.) 15–16 Cardiff European Council 15–19 Strasbourg European Parliament Plenary 16–17 Luxembourg Environment Council 17 Luxembourg Joint Environment and Transport Council 18 Luxembourg Transport Council
European Calender: January—June 1998 Venue Event 22 Luxembourg Research Council 22–23 Luxembourg Agriculture Council 29–30 Luxembourg General Affairs Council (t.b.c.)