HL Deb 24 February 1998 vol 586 cc92-3WA
The Countess of Mar

asked Her Majesty's Government:

How many doctors who are consultants to whom the War Pensions Agency refers claimants for medical reports are also expert witnesses or advisers to the Treasury or the Ministry of Defence. [HL568]

Baroness Hollis of Heigham

Medical advisers employed by the War Pensions Agency may seek, for the purpose of determining claims for war pension, medical reports from consultants. Where the issue is particularly complex, or where there is a conflict of medical opinion, reports my be commissioned from consultants who, by reason of particular expertise or length of experience, are recognised authorities in their particular specialty. These consultants, known by the agency as "regional consultants", are appointed nationally by the Chief Medical Adviser to the Department of Social Security; they provide authoritative, impartial medical opinions.

Information regarding the number of consultants who may also advise the Treasury or the Ministry of Defence is not available.