HC Deb 24 February 1998 vol 307 c139W
Mr. Gordon Prentice

To ask the Secretary of State for the Environment, Transport and the Regions what powers he has to require the removal of pylons and transmission lines which no longer carry electricity. [30556]

Mr. Raynsford

Planning permission for all but the most minor overhead lines is granted by the Secretary of State for Trade and Industry. It is frequently a condition of such a permission that the apparatus is removed if no longer needed. Where such a condition has not been attached and there is an affect on amenity, a local planning authority has powers to serve a notice under section 215 of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990 requiring removal. Such notices may be enforced by, or appealed against to a Magistrate's Court and do not concern the Secretary of State.