§ Mr. Rhodri Morgan
To ask the Secretary of State for Scotland what proportion of Civil Service staff of grade 5 and above within his Department(a) have spent their entire civil service career within his Department, (b) have had secondments to (i) the private sector and (ii) other departments and (c) have come from other departments. 
§ Mr. Dewar
[holding answer 28 January 1998]: Of the total number of Senior Civil Service staff within my Department at 31 December 1997:
- (a) 66% have spent their entire civil service career within The Scottish Office;
- (i) 11% have had secondments to the private sector;
- (ii) 13% have been seconded to other Departments; and
- (c) 10% have come from other Departments.
- (f) [percentages have been rounded to the nearose whole number].
In addition, 47 per cent. of Senior Civil Service staff within my Department, including some from each of the above categories, have experience of work in other public sector organisations or the private sector prior to their joining the Civil Service.