HC Deb 03 February 1998 vol 305 c601W
Sir John Stanley

To ask the Secretary of State for Defence when he expects to reach a conclusion on the issue of financial assistance for ex-service personnel who were affected by asbestos while serving in the Armed Forces prior to 1987. [27312]

Dr. Reid

Ex-Service personnel who contract asbestos related diseases as a result of their service in the Armed Forces can claim a war pension. It is not easy to assess whether this provides the same compensation as former Civilian personnel, who can bring a claim for negligence and be awarded lump sum compensation.

Nevertheless, I hope to reach a conclusion within the next few months.