HC Deb 29 October 1997 vol 299 c833W
Mr. Doran

To ask the Secretary of State for Scotland what is his policy regarding future provision of residential care for adults with learning difficulties; and if he will make a statement. [12699]

Mr. Galbraith

The way in which people with learning difficulties are cared for, including where they live, is best determined by what best meets their needs. Local authorities, in consultation with their planning partners, will continue to have responsibility for ensuring that an appropriate range and volume of community care services are in place to respond to individuals' assessed needs and local circumstances. This includes residential accommodation for people with learning disabilities.

The Department of Health has commissioned research into the costs and outcomes of various types of residential accommodation for people with learning disabilities in England and Ireland. The research is expected to be completed around the end of 1998. We will give careful consideration to the findings.

Back to