HL Deb 14 October 1997 vol 582 cc115-6WA
Lord Burton

asked Her Majesty's Government:

Whether it is necessary to have an authorisation under Section 5 of the Firearms Act 1968 in order legally to transport or carry soft-nosed or expanding rifle ammunition to be used for compliance with the various Deer Acts and for the humane killing of animals in respect of the following transfers: (a) manufacturer to dealer; (b) importer to dealer; (c) dealer to carrier; (d) carrier to user; and (e) dealer to a legally authorised user.

Lord Williams of Mostyn

A person who manufactures, sells or transfers any ammunition by way of trade or business must be registered as a firearms dealer by virtue of section 3 of the Firearms Act 1968. Under Section 5A(7) of that Act as amended dealers can possess, purchase, acquire, sell or transfer any expanding ammunition without the authority of the Secretary of State provided that they do so in the ordinary course of their business.

In these circumstances, any of the transfers under (a), (b), and (d) above can take place without authority provided they are undertaken in person by the transferor or his servants. Transfers from carrier to user as at (d) will require the necessary authority under Section 5.