HC Deb 28 November 1997 vol 301 c690W
Mr. Yeo

To ask the Secretary of State for the Environment, Transport and the Regions if he will list the(a) amendments and (b) observations made by the Government on (i) county, (ii) district and (iii) unitary development plans since 1 May. [17970]

Mr. Raynsford

When development plans are being prepared, altered or replaced the Secretary of State has powers to direct local authorities to modify their plans and may call all or part of a plan in for his own determination. A direction will indicate the nature of the change required to be made to the plan, but does not otherwise specify the amendment to be made. The Secretary of State can amend a plan he has called in for his own determination; but no plans have been called in since 1 May 1997. Government Offices, acting on behalf of the Secretary of State, are in regular contact with local authorities commenting on draft and deposited plans and proposed modifications. Information on all observations made in that context could be made available only at disproportionate cost.