HC Deb 06 March 1997 vol 291 c697W
Sir Donald Thompson

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department if those owners of prohibited high calibre handguns who wish to retain their weapons as mementos, having first arranged for de-activation and having obtained de-activation certificates, will be able to obtain compensation based on individual valuation of the weapon in its original state. [18615]

Miss Widdecombe

No. Under the terms of the Firearms (Amendment) Act 1997, payments in respect of high calibre handguns may be made only where such items are surrendered to the police.