HC Deb 04 March 1997 vol 291 c561W
Mr. Flynn

To ask the Secretary of State for Social Security in what circumstances, in answering questions to Ministers regarding appeal tribunals, it is his policy to(a) provide the information requested, (b) inform the questioner that the president of the independent tribunal service will write to him and (c) inform the hon. Member that it is a matter for the independent tribunal service; and in what respects the policy changed between 23 January and 17 February. [17402]

Mr. Roger Evans

Responsibility for the judicial functions and administration of appeal tribunals is vested by statute in the president of the independent tribunal service.

Where the information requested by an hon. Member lies wholly within the responsibilities of the independent tribunal service, Ministers may decide either to obtain the information from the independent tribunal service in order to reply to the hon. Member, or suggest that the hon. Member deal directly with the independent tribunal service. As the hon. Member's recent questions related to matters within the responsibility of the independent tribunal service, I judged it more appropriate to direct the hon. Member to the service for the information requested.

Questions on the Government's policy in relation to appeal tribunals will, of course, continue to be answered by Ministers.