§ Mr. Stephen Twigg
To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Employment what plans the Government have to review the role and function of the Construction Industry Training Board and the Engineering Construction Industry Training Board. 
§ Dr. Howells
Against the background of the established practice of carrying out quinquennial policy and financial management reviews of non-departmental public bodies, my Department will conduct a thorough review of the Construction Industry Training Board and the Engineering Construction Industry Training Board during 1997–98.
The first stage of the review will have the following terms of reference:
- 1. To review the functions of the Boards, and the likely need in the future of these functions.
- 2. To consider whether some or all of the functions can be better performed through other means.
- 3. To review the efficiency and effectiveness of the Boards in carrying out their functions.
- 4. To consider the powers, terms of reference, constitutional status, membership and activities of the Boards.
- 5. To report the outcomes of the reviews by late September 1997.
The study is now underway and I would welcome comments form interested parties. Comments, which may be made public unless respondents specifically request otherwise, should be sent by 30 July 1997 to:
- Mike Beck
- Department for Education and Employment
- Industry Training Board Quinquennial Review Team
- S I 4PQ.