HC Deb 25 June 1997 vol 296 c525W
Mr. Fearn

To ask the Secretary of State for the Environment, Transport and the Regions if he will consider renegotiating river cruise licences with a view to safety. [4022]

Ms Glenda Jackson

This is not a question which necessarily falls to my Department as the description of "river cruise licences" does not conform to any particular licence or certificate which is currently issued.

Local authorities issue licences allowing the operation of vessels which carry passengers and these licences would seem to be the most similar to those referred to in the question. There is an administrative charge relating to such licences and limited safety implications are involved.

The Marine Safety Agency (MSA) is responsible for issuing Passenger Certificates to vessels operating on inland waterways and the Environment Agency (EA) formally the National Rivers Authority (NRA) operates a Boat Safety Scheme with the emphasis for both being safety.

If you have any questions relating to either of these areas, I am sure that the Chief Executives of the MSA or EA will be able to help.