HL Deb 25 June 1997 vol 580 cc176-7WA
Baroness Macleod of Borve

asked Her Majesty's Government:

What percentage of homes to be built by local authorities will be designed for use by disabled people.

Baroness Hayman

Under the Housing Investment Programme (HIP) resources are allocated to local authorities for capital expenditure on housing. Local authorities also receive resources from other programmes such as the single regeneration budget and the capital challenge pilot, and in addition they can use their own resources such as useable capital receipts to fund housing works. It is for local authorities to set out local priorities in their housing strategy including the need for properties for disabled people.

Local authority tenants are also able to apply for Disabled Facilities Grants (DFGs). DFGs are awarded on a mandatory or discretionary basis depending on the type of works and subject to a means test. Mandatory grants are awarded for essential works needed to help a disabled person manage more independently in their home and discretionary grants are available for a wide range of other adaptation works.

Housing associations are the main providers of new social housing. New Housing Association housing for people with physical disabilities will receive funding where housing for the disabled is identified as a priority housing need by the local authority in its housing strategy.