HC Deb 11 June 1997 vol 295 c472W
Mr. Burstow

To ask the Secretary of State for the Environment, Transport and the Regions what plans he has to ensure that social housing built or renovated under the release of capital receipts meets the access requirements of disabled people. [2309]

Mr. Raynsford

Social housing, however funded, will have to comply with the relevant requirements of the Building Regulations. At present Part M of the Building Regulations, covering access and facilities for disabled people, does not apply to dwellings, but active consideration is being given to extending Part M in the light of the consultation exercise initiated in 1995.