HC Deb 09 June 1997 vol 295 cc357-8W
Mr. Robert McCartney

To ask the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland when she will extend legislation to Northern Ireland to permit local authorities in England and Wales to pay for residential nursing care in Northern Ireland and vice versa. [1316]

Mr. Worthington

The legislation governing the provision of residential and nursing home care, both in Northern Ireland and England and Wales, does not permit authorities to arrange to pay for placements within each other's territories. I have asked officials to consider, with the Department of Health, ways of overcoming this difficulty.

Forward to