HC Deb 08 July 1997 vol 297 c419W
Mr. Hinchliffe

To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs what proof is required of a parent, resident in the United Kingdom and a United Kingdom national, that children, living abroad, whom they wish to bring into the country, are their natural children in the absence of a marriage certificate or birth certificate from the country of residence. [5053]

Mr. Tony Lloyd

[holding answer 1 July 1997]: In cases where documentary evidence satisfactorily establishing the identity of children seeking to join parents who are British citizens or UK residents is not available. Entry Clearance Officers have the option to interview the sponsor and applicants to try and establish their relationship. If such an interview proves inconclusive, the Entry Clearance Officer can invite the applicants and the sponsor to take a free DNA test under the government-funded scheme. The DNA test will satisfactorily establish the relationship between applicant and sponsor.