HC Deb 01 July 1997 vol 297 c134W
Mr. Flynn

To ask the Secretary of State for the Environment, Transport and the Regions what is his policy in respect of granting licences to fly ex-RAF Lightning jets in private ownership in the United Kingdom; and what guidance he issues to licensing authorities in other countries. [5505]

Ms Glenda Jackson

The issue of Permits to Fly to ex military aircraft is the responsibility of the Civil Aviation Authority, which is sponsored by the Department of the Environment, Transport and the Regions. The CAA's policy on this subject is set out in the British Civil Airworthiness Requirements (BCAR) Chapter A8–20—this requirement covers the design evaluation and assessment of the aircraft type, as well as the maintenance activity required to maintain its airworthiness. In addition, Civil Aviation Publication (CAP) 632 specifies the requirements to be satisfied for the operation of ex military aircraft by civil organisations, owners and operators. BCAR A8–20 and CAP 632 are both available to the public.

The CAA does not give general guidance to overseas authorities, but would share its experience on specific aircraft types if asked.

Forward to