HC Deb 01 July 1997 vol 297 c128W
Mr. Hinchliffe

To ask the Secretary of State for the Environment, Transport and the Regions if housing benefit will continue to be paid via local authority housing revenue accounts. [5046]

Mr. Raynsford

We are currently examining the financing of local authority housing as part of our comprehensive review of spending. Housing benefit granted by local authorities to their tenants as rent rebates is paid through local authority housing revenue accounts in accordance with the Local Government and Housing Act 1989. Legislation would be required to change this.